Saturday, April 28, 2018

Bodhisattva Katrin

Bodhisattva image from March blog.
Last month I posted an image of a Bodhisattva I had created. My Australian friend (and self-declared sister), Katrin Ogilvy was quite taken with it, as she identifies as one who is on a path toward enlightenment. In dialogue, I suggested that I would like to make one that is specifically for her. I began to imagine what it might look like for the Bodhisattva statue to be on a map of Asia with the continent of Australia as her base.

I used the draft copy on the left, cutting out the figure. 
I asked Katrin to send me a photograph of herself. When I received the photo below, it seemed to me that it was already a picture of a Bodhisattva but that Katrin needed to recognize that in herself. I altered my initial image. I cut out the figure on the left map, placing the cutout on a pinkish-lavender matte board and pieces of the map at the edges of the matte board rather than as part of the central image. I glued everything onto the cutout, covering all of it except her orange earrings. 

Katrin exudes compassion and peace, the
qualities of a Bodhisattva. 
I decided immediately to use the pink of her sweater for some of the drape on the Bodhisattva statue that had captivated her. But I felt she needed more from the photograph for her to actually recognize her own Bodhisattva image. So I added the Irises from her garden. At one point I tried adding the bricks behind her image but it was too much. Instead I used slices from a photo of Vietnamese women setting lights out on the water. At one point I had considered using one of the lights in her headdress.

The only part of the draft copy on the right to make it into
the composition were some islands I used for her necklace.
Knowing Katrin’s global mindset, I considered placing the word ‘world’ at her feet but words did not seem appropriate, so instead I placed a golden half-sphere as the foundation for her image.  I also used gold foil for her headdress and her power symbol. One time-consuming activity was adjusting the size of the photo she sent in order to put her face on the statue. 

I honor and respect Bodhisattva Katrin.

1 comment:

mudvillejoys said...

I've been traveling the last couple of months and missed my opportunity to read and comment. Quite interesting connection between Bodhisattva and Katrin. Arts connection to life of course, is the point. Thanks, Terry