Friday, March 27, 2020

TAKING STOCK OF OUR LIFE

Beginning Reflection

Looking Within
In this era of social distancing we can find solace and new direction in connecting with our inner selves. One way to begin is to take a look at the most recent period of your life. Since recording this inventory will help your neurological function and aid your introspection, get a pencil and paper, or a journal if you have one, and write the date of your Taking Stock entry at the top of a page.

Begin in a meditative atmosphere, by closing your eyes and feeling the flow of your life over the past few weeks, months, or even years. Take your time. There's no need to rush. Welcome tears, anger, or anxiety if they come up. After considering the inner movement of this most recent time, give this latest chapter in your life a title. 

Title:

You may want to add notes about when you sense the period began, characteristics it embodied, and any intuitions or sensations that arose during your reflection. 

Look closely and you'll see that my cactus is bursting with new life.

Diving Into The Details

Self-Concept/Identity
What has been my self-image during this time period? In other words, how have I experienced the ‘me’ in myself? Have I had a particular identity? Am I clinging to it now or ready to let it go?

Physical Experience
How has my body been during this time? Have there been health challenges or illness, bodily or psychological changes? What about physical engagement in athletics or sexuality? Have I over-indulged or allowed addictions to take hold? How have I experienced nature?

Events
Have strange, uncanny, striking, dramatic, or coincidental events occurred? Have I sensed that any historic or artistic events have special meaning for me? Has a significant event shaped or even changed the direction of my life?

I love how my winter Hellebore is blooming alongside a Dandelion announcing spring . 
Meaningful Engagement
What projects have had an inner meaning for me? Why and how? Did I encounter hopes, plans, difficulties, challenges? Was I successful or did I experience dissatisfaction or failure? 

Persons/Society
What relationships with individuals have been important? What social groups have been significant? Why? How have I been engaged in social or political issues?

Decisions/Guidance
What significant decisions did I make? Or did I not make? Did I or am I now facing a crossroads in life? Has a mentor or wise teacher influenced me in any way?

Inner Life
Have I had a sense of connection to or disconnection from the wider universe? Have I had memorable or recurring dreams, an uncanny encounter, a synchronistic experience? Have I felt blessed or cursed? Did I have a stroke of good luck or a streak of bad fortune?

My about-to-pop-open tulips are welcomed by some volunteer bluebells.

Reflection

Listening within, close your eyes, relax, and open all of your senses. Allow an image, smell, or physical sensation to present itself. Record these spontaneous images and sensations.

Sentence Completion 
My life in this period has been like …

It’s as if …

This makes me want to …

Above the rooftop you can see the aura of a maple tree's buds.
Take the next few minutes slowly. Perhaps walk around a bit or refresh yourself in nature before picking up the threads of everyday life. 

3 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you for creating this exercise - it is much needed for all of us.

Terry Bergdall said...

Last week I was in an online gathering involving the creation of a life timeline. While I have done similar exercises since I was a teenager (you may well have been one of my "guides" when I first did!), it was nice to do it again. New insights always emerge because nothing in life is static!

Honoré said...


In this anxiety-fraught time, your invitation to pause and take stock of our lives, is much appreciated. Thank you for adding calm; I am so grateful.