Tuesday, November 22, 2022

READ IT!

SOLITO A Memoir by Javier Zamora touched me as no other book has since THE TRANSLATOR by Daoud Hari. 

 

From El Salvador to Guatemala to Mexico
 to the Sonoran Desert to La USA.


Zamora’s retelling of his unimaginably horrific migration journey to the United States as a nine-year-old exposes heroes and villains. I include myself as a villain - an unaware and self-absorbed bystander. 


Read it to relive your own sources of despair and courage. 


His writing brought to the surface a painful experience of being bullied and uprooted at the age of 8. It opened my wound from a devastating encounter with US Customs at an airport in Hawaii. Still, my frightening experiences while traveling alone in India and Italy were trivial beside Javier's life-threatening dangers. 


Read it to expand your compassion for coyotes, all immigrants, and Dreamers. 


Read it!

 


 

2 comments:

Terry Bergdall said...

Now that you've called my attention to it, I see nothing but extreme praise for this book. I'm reading some others right now but I will definitely get to this one. I just downloaded it into my Kindle (a thing to have while I am here in Mexico), so I won't forget!

jpc2025 said...

I'm not familiar with either of these books, but will add them to a list to investigate at the library or purchase or give as a Christmas suggested gift. Your recommendations are worthy of note.

So grateful for the wealth of memories of our shared journeys that color my days. Thanksgiving blessings.

Lynda