Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Seeding Our Imagination

  

SEED PODS LiDoña Wagner 2022

Terry Bergdall

Three songs on my playlist are about being awake on life's journey and taking an affirmative relationship to the realities one encounters. 

 

A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall

Kurt Elling

Album: The Questions

 

In the final verse, after describing many troubling encounters, his crucial point is to notice and pay self-conscious attention to it all:  "I'll know my song well before I start singin'."

 

I Can See Clearly Now

Holly Cole

Album: Don't Smoke in Bed

 

It is as if she's proclaiming, "this is precisely where I should be, and I am extremely grateful for it." It strikes me as courageous. I find her delivery of this song to be profoundly inspirational.

 

Hallelujah

Leonard Cohen

Album: Live in London

 

There are no rose-colored glasses in this song. "Our love is not a victory march / It's a cold and it's a broken 'Hallelujah'." But "hallelujah" none-the-less and all the more powerful because of its clear lucidity with wide open eyes. 

1 comment:

Sandy Brown Jensen said...

I enjoyed thinking about artistic inspiration in terms of song lyrics. I certainly agree that Hallelujah is one of the greatest lyrics of all time. Sometimes a line of a song from earlier in my life comes to me for an apparent no reason, and I puzzle over its beauty. For example, the line, “Casting down their golden crowns around a glassy sea,” seems so mysterious to me, like a glimpse of a world in a Maxfield Parrish painting.
Thanks for this good beginning to this series.