Sunday, December 17, 2023

Winter Solstice 2023

Perhaps one of these greeting cards came from you.

Normally with Winter Solstice on the horizon here in the northern hemisphere, I focus on the barely discernible increase in light. But this year I am drawn to the miracle of life quickening below in dark frozen ground. 

 

QUICKENING IN THE DARK

 

Beneath dark frozen ground

A miracle gathers energy.

 

Out of human view

Germinating seeds awaken

In the silence of long nights.

 

Pods split open. 

Fragile barely discernable roots

Explore moist welcoming soil. 

 

Darkness protects in the temporal gap before

Sun’s rays entice shoots to spring forth,

Inviting lifegiving photosynthesis. 

 

The coolness of winter solstice 

Holds Spring in its embrace.

 

Grown from a single rooted leaf, this three-yea-old
 indoor plant is blooming for the second time.


2024 The Year of the Dragon

I’d like to pose some challenges for 2024.

  1. Tell 5 people you appreciate them.
  2. Listen regularly to the TED Hour on NPR Radio.
  3. Write a song: I am ________. I am here to _________.

Here’s my song.

I’m LiDoƱa. I’m here to plant trees on Mother Earth and to shine a light on the amazing wonder of participating in the existential experiment of living beings in a vast universe. 


Friendship Network


Over the last thirty-two years, I have been the grateful recipient of beautiful holiday greetings with precious notes updating me on your lives. I treasure and keep these gifts. Each year as the Solstice approaches, I bring out a bag of souvenirs and create an 'evergreen' tree on one of my doors.


This year I made two friendship trees, one of small cards above and this one of larger ones. I have surrounded my fireplace with doves and messages of peace and placed several at my entrance. 



More priceless holiday greetings. 

Sorting through these messages of greeting and sharing, I read and reminisce. Nothing is more precious to me than being reminded of the gift of friendship that surrounds my life. Thank you!  

MAY JOY FILL YOUR HEART
 
AND PEACE SURROUND OUR PLANET!


 

2 comments:

Terry Bergdall said...

Solstice this year finds me in the middle of an unanticipated trip from Mexico to Chicago to initiate Probate for a colleague of 50 years who died two weeks ago. Together, the mission of the trip and the Soltice itself, are reminders of the life cycles that are an integrated part of our experience.

Melody Carr said...

LiDona, Happy Holidays as we navigate into this turning of the year, may all your creative endeavors flower strongly in the upcoming year!
Many blessings to you!
Melody